The instructions for sewing were very easy to follow, but the fitting adjustments posted on her blog were extremely useful. I don’t fit well into ready to wear jeans and pants, because I have a big butt and small waist, so I always have major gaposis happening. Therefore, I was super excited about following along on the sew along, and learning how to make fit adjustments. I made two muslins, and after that, realized that I would need to be making a lot more adjustments, and so I decided to switch to using Swedish tracing paper, which can be sewed. I then started making adjustments on the Swedish tracing paper, and sewing that up (only one half, since it’s just one front and one back piece), and then making sure that the center front and center back were exactly in the center, and then making sure that the waistline was at a correct height.
I ended up making a full butt adjustment:
and a small waist adjustment:
I started with smallish adjustments, like half an inch, and then increased as necessary. Here is the picture of the adjustments I ended up making.
Since I adjusted the pattern so much, the waistband also needed to be adjusted. I measured the final top length of my back and front waistline, following the curve and subtracting the darts, and figured out that I needed a size 12 front waistband, and a size 0 back waistband.
On my finished pants, I am super happy with how well the top fits me. I think that overall the fit is too baggy. So I think that my modified pattern could work well with a non-stretch woven fabric, but that if I was to make another pair of stretch pants, then I could probably start 2 sizes lower, and make the same adjustments.